There are many factors to consider when purchasing an alternator.
Things like amperage, voltage, pulley ratio, and wiring all come into play. We’ve covered some of these topics in this earlier post; however, we still receive many questions about alternators from readers. So we teamed up with the tech experts at Summit Racing to get answers for some of the most common questions:
- Why would I need to upgrade my alternator?
- What aftermarket options are available?
- What is a regulator and what’s the difference between internal vs. external?
- How much wiring is involved?
- How do I calculate pulley ratio and why is it important?
Check out the video below for those answers and more. We’ve also included some helpful charts, guides, and formulas below the video to help you figure out your required alternator output, wire gauge size, and overall alternator efficiency.